The Museum and Gift Shop are housed in the last public school building of the Chappell Hill I.S.D. The red brick structure is located on the site of the Chappell Hill Female College. Built in 1927, it served as only one of the schools in the area until 1965. The completely redesigned museum tells the intriguing story of a town once seemingly destined for greatness, but diminished by the ill fortunes of fate and history.
Exhibits of photos, documents and artifacts give a glimpse of the town from its beginnings in 1847 to the present day. Visitors have the opportunity to learn about Soule University for men, The Chappell Hill Female College, King Cotton, the Brazos River, the Polish community and the War-Between-the-States.
The Chappell Hill Historical Society Museum will host an exhibit opening Saturday, March 26, 2016 from 1:00 – 4:00 PM. The exhibit, “The History of Woodworking in Chappell Hill,” presents both sophisticated and vernacular examples of home furnishings, home décor, and art pieces created in Chappell Hill or by artists who lived and worked in Chappell Hill from the mid-19th century to the present. Kathy Nichols, director of the Museum of Texas Handmade Furniture, will give a presentation placing 19th century woodworking in Chappell Hill into the greater context of German artisans and the Texas Biedermeier furniture tradition. A small reception will follow the exhibit opening at the museum. Some examples of pieces on display include the woodworking tools of German immigrant Heinrich Christian Brandt, a carpenter, cabinetmaker, and merchant in early Chappell Hill history who rebuilt the historic Chappell Hill United Methodist Church after the great storm of 1900. Other cabinetmakers of German descent who worked in Chappell Hill include the brothers Johann and Heinrich Umland, Caspar Witteborg, and others who hoped to carve out a new life in Texas towns in need of skilled artisans. There will also be examples from current artists in the region, including furniture by Todd Burch, the bowls and art of By Reed, and the carving and cabinetry of Barry Bennett to name a few. As always, the Chappell Hill Historical Society Museum is free and open to the public from Wednesday – Saturday 10AM – 4PM and Sunday 1-4PM. This exhibit will be on display from March 26 – April 17th including during the Bluebonnet Festival, which is April 9th and 10th. Be sure not to miss this wonderful exhibit.